Skip to main content

Bernie Sanders Vows To Stay In Presidential Race Despite Disappointing Night

Despite losing several key primaries on Tuesday night, Senator Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., has vowed to remain in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Sanders spoke to reporters on Wednesday, a day after losing to former Vice President Joe Biden in Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi and Idaho.

“Last night obviously was not a good night for our campaign from a delegate point of view,” said Sanders, who won in North Dakota and narrowly leads Biden in Washington.

However, Sanders argued that his campaign is winning the “ideological debate” as well as the “generational debate,” noting his strong support among younger voters.

“Today I say to the Democratic establishment: In order to win in the future, you need to win the voters who represent the future of our country,” Sanders said.

He added, “And you must speak to the issues of concern to them. You cannot simply be satisfied by winning the votes of people who are older.”

Sanders acknowledged he is losing the debate over which candidate is best positioned to defeat President Donald Trump but suggested he would seek to change that perception in the next Democratic debate on Sunday.

The self-described Democratic Socialist laid out several questions he plans to ask Biden during the debate, including on issues such as healthcare, climate change, and criminal justice reform.

The comments from Sanders come after Biden enjoyed another strong night after his remarkable comeback in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination in last week’s Super Tuesday contests.

Biden substantially widened his lead in the race for delegates with his performance on Tuesday, leading many pundits to question whether Sanders still has a path to the nomination.

The current situation represents an astonishing turnaround from a little over a week ago, when the pundits were asking the same questions about Biden.

(Photo: Gage Skidmore)

Source: Read Full Article

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fears coronavirus will spark divorce surge as couples self-isolate for months

Coronavirus is "very likely" to lead to an increase in marriage break-ups because of people being confined together for long periods in self-isolation, a leading divorce lawyer has said.Baroness Shackleton of Belgravia, whose previous clients have included Sir Paul McCartney, the Prince of Wales, Madonna and Liam Gallagher, revealed the view of the profession as a growing number of households go into voluntary lockdown in a bid to curb the spread of infection.Official health advice states that if one person in a property has a persistent cough or fever, everyone living there should stay at home for 14 days.Nicknamed the "Steel Magnolia" for her skills and charm, Lady Shackleton told peers at Westminster: "The prediction amongst divorce lawyers is that following self-imposed confinement it is very likely that the divorce rate will rise."Our peak times are after long exposure during the summer holidays and over Christmas."One only has to imagine what i…

At Least 23 People Dead in Australia Bushfires As Blazes Continue Raging

SYDNEY (AP) — A father and son who were battling flames for two days are the latest victims of the worst wildfire season in Australian history, and the path of destruction widened in at least three states Saturday due to strong winds and high temperatures.The death toll in the wildfire crisis is now up to 23 people, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said after calling up about 3,000 reservists to battle the escalating fires, which are expected to be particularly fierce throughout the weekend.“We are facing another extremely difficult next 24 hours,” Morrison said at a televised news conference. “In recent times, particularly over the course of the balance of this week, we have seen this disaster escalate to an entirely new level.”Dick Lang, a 78-year-old acclaimed bush pilot and outback safari operator, and his 43-year-old son, Clayton, were identified by Australian authorities after their bodies were found Saturday on a highway on Kangaroo Island. Their family said their losses left them…

Thousands of dangerous drivers with dozens of penalty points still on the road due to bizarre legal loophole – The Sun

RECKLESS drivers with dozens of penalty points still on the road due to a bizarre legal loophole.More than 10,000 Brits still hold their licence despite amassing 12 or more points on their licence.Shockingly, one man has avoided a ban after collecting 66 penalty points, as have another two motorists with 60 points.Drivers who amass 12 or more points on their licence typically are given a lengthy road ban, as well as hefty fines.But some drivers are exploiting the system and escaping punishment by successfully arguing in court that it would cause them "exceptional hardship", such as losing their job.Judges base exceptional hardship on a case-by-case basis, but drivers can dodge a ban by proving it would adversely impact someone who relies on their vehicle.Other motorists are able to continue driving despite accumulating several speeding convictions by simply ignoring their disqualification notice or re-offending after serving a ban.Figures obtained by the Daily Mail reveal me…