Skip to main content

Biogen Staffers Test Positive for Virus After Boston Meeting

Biogen Inc. said three employees have tested positive for the coronavirus after attending a meeting in Boston last week.

The Cambridge, Massachusetts-based drugmaker said in a statement that a number of attendees reported varying degrees of flu-like symptoms after the meeting. Three cases were confirmed as Covid-19 and some others were diagnosed as the flu.

The strategic management meeting hosted about 175 attendees and took place at the Boston Marriott Long Wharf, a company spokeswoman confirmed in an email. The hotel is less than a five-minute walk from historic Faneuil Hall Marketplace and the New England Aquarium.

All individuals are doing well and under the care of health professionals, according to the statement. The company said two of the Covid-19 patients are based in Europe and the third is based in the U.S. outside of Massachusetts.

Biogen said all meeting attendees have been directed to work from home for two weeks, regardless if they have symptoms. Biogen is restricting travel through the end of March to mitigate spread of the virus and plans to monitor the situation.

The company said it has been in regular contact with public health officials since the first cases were reported. The illnesses were reported Thursday evening bylocal news outlet WCVB-TV.

It appeared to be business as usual Friday morning at the Marriott Long Wharf, which is located next to Faneuil Hall, one of the city’s busiest tourist spots. An employee said health officials were on-site meeting with management and a manager declined to comment. People staying there said they were unaware that virus cases were linked to a meeting at the hotel.

“I didn’t realize they had the conference here,” said a woman from Connecticut who had stayed for one night and declined to provide her name. “What is there to do? Go home and watch for symptoms?”

— With assistance by Janet Wu

Source: Read Full Article

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At Least 23 People Dead in Australia Bushfires As Blazes Continue Raging

SYDNEY (AP) — A father and son who were battling flames for two days are the latest victims of the worst wildfire season in Australian history, and the path of destruction widened in at least three states Saturday due to strong winds and high temperatures.The death toll in the wildfire crisis is now up to 23 people, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said after calling up about 3,000 reservists to battle the escalating fires, which are expected to be particularly fierce throughout the weekend.“We are facing another extremely difficult next 24 hours,” Morrison said at a televised news conference. “In recent times, particularly over the course of the balance of this week, we have seen this disaster escalate to an entirely new level.”Dick Lang, a 78-year-old acclaimed bush pilot and outback safari operator, and his 43-year-old son, Clayton, were identified by Australian authorities after their bodies were found Saturday on a highway on Kangaroo Island. Their family said their losses left them…

Fears coronavirus will spark divorce surge as couples self-isolate for months

Coronavirus is "very likely" to lead to an increase in marriage break-ups because of people being confined together for long periods in self-isolation, a leading divorce lawyer has said.Baroness Shackleton of Belgravia, whose previous clients have included Sir Paul McCartney, the Prince of Wales, Madonna and Liam Gallagher, revealed the view of the profession as a growing number of households go into voluntary lockdown in a bid to curb the spread of infection.Official health advice states that if one person in a property has a persistent cough or fever, everyone living there should stay at home for 14 days.Nicknamed the "Steel Magnolia" for her skills and charm, Lady Shackleton told peers at Westminster: "The prediction amongst divorce lawyers is that following self-imposed confinement it is very likely that the divorce rate will rise."Our peak times are after long exposure during the summer holidays and over Christmas."One only has to imagine what i…

Google accused of creating 'creepy' spy tool to squelch worker dissent

Google workers are accusing the company of developing an internal surveillance tool that they believe will be used to monitor their attempts to organise protests and discuss labour rights.Earlier this month, employees said they discovered that a team within the company was creating the new tool for the custom Google Chrome browser installed on all workers' computers and used to search internal systems. The concerns were outlined in a memo written by a Google employee and reviewed by Bloomberg News, and by three Google employees who requested anonymity because they aren't authorised to talk to the press.The tool would automatically report staffers who create a calendar event with more than 10 rooms or 100 participants, according to the employee memo. The most likely explanation, the memo alleged, "is that this is an attempt of leadership to immediately learn about any workers organisation attempts."Google is using the new software tool to police its own workers amid r…